Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Same Kind of Different as Me"

I'm usually very happy after posting something on my blog. Vanity no doubt accounts in part, but there's also that sense of creating something - even if it's just an account, a retelling. And there's the work aspect of it, the satisfaction of reaching the end, of having communicated. There's not much else that I do that brings those things together in such a way.

But not this time. I was glad to no longer have the weight of this story (previous four posts) hanging over me like a dreaded term paper, but absent was the sense of pleasure I usually feel.

I think it's because the Not-So-Good Samaritan story was so unflattering to me. When I write something humorous, I don't think I'm doing it to flatter myself, but making people laugh has that side-effect. When I write about deep things, I'm flattering myself there, too, because it feels good to think I 'm wise, that I can offer something that is helpful, even illuminating.

Not that I write with those motives uppermost. At least, I hope I'm not that deceived. If you're saying, "Yep, she's as blind as she is egotistical," let me know. Just be gentle, my friends.

But this story was hardcore narration. I wrote it in the third person because I wanted some distance; I wanted to see myself as I was, to recreate the scene without the airbrushing effect of the first-person perspective.

And so, when it was finished, I was depressed. Just like the photo you see of yourself, and you say, "Do I really look like that? That middle-aged? That frumpy?"

But here it wasn't about appearances. It was about my heart, or lack thereof.

Just a week or so before this incident, I'd finished a book I've since been requiring my family and badgering my friends to read. It's the story of a friendship between an international art dealer and a homeless former sharecropper, and the woman who brought them together. It's called "Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. Whether you desire to be a better follower of Christ or just like quality non-fiction, this book should be on your list.

I don't want to spoil the book because I do hope that all of you will read it, but I promise that you will find yourself caught up in a story so incredible, so impacting, so vibrant with purpose, that you will not be the same afterwards. That's saying a lot, I know, but it's true. Fortunately, you will not find within its pages the "Not-So-Good Samaritan", but rather individuals of heroic stature, people who make you rethink what it is to be Christian, what it is to be human.

2 comments:

Sue said...

But you were real, and it's helped me to be more willing to see my own heart. And, you still helped him. I need to see the good and the bad in a person. That's what's real. And God looks down with mercy, seeing us as we are.

TerryB said...

Gracious words from you. As always.