Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year Resolves

My son-in-law explained that the reason I'm no longer craving sugar is because of cell-receptors. It seems that our cells multiply receptors for whatever we've been consuming. I must have had millions of receptors for sweet things and that's why I always wanted more. But now that I'm limiting sugar, I really don't even want sweet things. It's not even a matter of will-power.

This phenomenon of "wanting what you've been having" has implications in so many areas of life. Whether good things or bad things, whatever it is that we're giving ourselves to is what we are going to desire.

If I rarely pray, I probably won't feel much inclined to pray. If I'm watching TV every night, that's what I'm going to want to do every night. If I'm eating healthy food, I will develop a taste for that and vice-versa.

I approach my New Year's resolutions with more confidence than in years past because of the success with giving up sugar. I'm counting on this principle of "wanting what you've been doing" to help me:

Rise 15 minutes early for prayer.
Jog 30 minutes a day.
Continue to limit sugar.
Don't eat while on the run; that is, sit down like a human being and eat food from a plate or bowl instead of nibbling, tasting, and snacking.




No comments: