Monday, May 7, 2012

The Sailing Life

 Pat has always wanted to sail - a book on sailing has graced his nightstand as much as any other book, and after 30+ years of waiting, last spring we purchased a 1970ish sailboat, (the O'Day Daysailer for those who might know or care.) Emily the Craigslist Queen found this boat, and it was perfect for us. Small enough to learn with, big enough to keep it from being a solitary activity.

Sailing enthusiasts will tell you, "There's nothing like it." It's true. To experience movement across water without the sound of a motor or the sweat of rowing is sublime. To know that with a watchful eye on the wind, the ropes and the tiller in hand, you can position your boat to make use of nature's gift is magical.

In addition to the wonderful way it feels to sail, Pat and I are enjoying seeing why our language is filled with so many sailing metaphors.  Almost each time we go out, we learn something new about life from sailing.

For the past few weeks, I've neglected my morning time with God. I simply have wanted the extra minutes of sleep. Nothing in life has been too pressing, spring is in the air, the school year is winding down, so I've been slacking off.

In our sailboat, there is a moveable keel called the centerboard. It's a narrow, long piece of wood underneath the boat that provides extra stability. We lower the center board almost immediately after launching and leave it down until we're ready to get out of the water. Yesterday Pat was "running", that means sailing with the wind at his back, so he pulled the centerboard up to reduce the drag.

He then tried to turn the boat with the wind coming across the side of the boat, but he forgot to lower the centerboard. Consequently, the boat started sliding sideways and he lost some control. The instant he lowered the centerboard, the boat stablized and he was able to go where he intended.

My time in the morning where I read the Bible, journal and pray is my centerboard. These "disciplines" are foundational and essential to my life being on course. Without them, I am adrift, without a destination. I need the stability, the "centering" that these disciplines afford.

2 comments:

Natalie Shew said...

Great analogy mama. I am pretty much lost without a course too.

HLDavis said...

Beautiful imagery, Terry. Thank you for the valuable reminder.